The Thurlows

Village News & Information

Pound Green to Little Thurlow Green (Church Road and Broad Road)

Church Road runs east from Pound Green, beginning at the little ford. A narrow cul-de-sac on the left leads to Locks Cottages and the next two houses on the left, Rijay and Old School, were a Victorian school (built in 1873). Further along is a thatched cottage, the old ‘Town House’, a dwelling for the poor and homeless from the 1690s until the advent of the workhouses in Haverhill and Kedington in the nineteenth century.

 

stpeter

 On the right is the Church of St Peter, mentioned in the Domesday survey of 1086 and with an assigned priest from 1279. Inside is the imposing family tomb of the Soame family, great benefactors of the village, and a fine Norman font. Among the many interesting inscriptions is a stern warning to bell-ringers in the north tower:

Beneath his fav’rite Bell poor Andrew lies
No pitying Naiade heard his dying cries
When in the Stour he fell, His Spirit rose
To brighter Climes and left this World of woes
Pause Ringer, pause for serious thought on vast Eternity,
Perhaps thy God this night may claim
The forfeit Life of thee.

Beyond the church is the fine eighteenth-century former vicarage and there are some large plane trees in the churchyard. By the side of the graveyard extension opposite runs a footpath to Little Bradley.

vicarage

Across the bridge, Church Farm on the left is the home of the local gamekeeper (and his vigilant dogs). The road changes its name here and becomes Broad Road, an ancient drove road with wide verges and very old and rich hedges, containing buckthorn, spindle and dogwood. As you approach Little Thurlow Green the Old Inn, the white house on the left set at an angle to the road, was once a pub called the Red Lion. Around the green itself are a mixture of new cottages and old ones, like Fair Rig at the back, and there is a concealed pond. The road runs on between fields and ancient hedges all the way to the Bury Road.

oldinn

 

You are here: Home Walks Pound Green to Little Thurlow Green (Church Road and Broad Road)